Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/2/2018

I am looking for prices for replacing an estimated 24' steel culvert under a gravel driveway, and replacement optns

Single car entrance, gravel (for now) would like quotes for replacing with another steel or installing new concrete. Also would like to extend it to around 35' long 25-30" wide culvert to accommodate larger vehicles. Also need to know if this is a job I would need to obtain permits for in my area. Thank you

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


Here are some similar questions with info on what Search the List categories to look in for contractors who do this type of work, some thought on issues related to this type of work, and some ballpark costs.

Permit(s) - almost certainly needed, assuming this will be in a roadside ditch along a public road. Road/street departments commonly also permit/inspect the drive to street transition to be sure the drive does not push runoff water into the street or interfere with snowplowing operations. Also, depending on local laws/regulations, you may be required to pave the first X feet from the street to minimize mud tracking (commonly about 10-15 feet), so check on that - if planning on paving your drive eventually and you are forced into paving the transition section when the culvert is done, might push you to either do a temporary fix on the culvert there now for awhile, or pave the driveway at the same time - meaning a Driveway contractor may be needed rather than an Excavation contractor, for instance. If it will be ini a natural stream drainage (as opposed to normal mowed/graded maintained roadside ditch) environmental permit(s) may also be involved.

Note if extending 24' culvert to 35' long may have to upsize to next larger size to maintain flow capacity - though if undersized by current regulations will have to at least upsize to minimum size required by road or drainage agency. Commonly 12" along city streets, 14-18" along highways depending on locale, possibly larger of course depending on flow capacity it has to have.

Here are links to a few similar previous questions with answers FYI:

Answered 2 years ago by LCD


What state are you in ?

Answered 8 months ago by Carpenter53


Where are you located

Answered 8 months ago by Carpenter53

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy