Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/15/2013

I need recommendation for marine dock repair in Largo, Florida. I could not find Docks on any of your lists

I have a dock in Largo, Floida that needs extesive repair with a new piling or two and replacement of much of the support structure

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I hate to say it, but I would start with checking out the permit situation - you are likely to need a county or city permit for work in or over the water, and likely will also need a Corps of Engineers 401 (Clean Water) and/or 404 (Dock, Dredge and Fill) permit. Also, if it was built after about 1972 without those permits, it may be "non-conforming" and subject to major hassles in getting it permitted in its existing condition before any repair permit is granted, and if unpermitted originally they might even demand it be totally and permanently removed.

Generally, permits for above-water work should be fairly simple, but installing new piling definitely brings in the full permit scenario, as well as a lot more cost for a drill or piledriver.

One thing to consider after looking at permit hassles and reconstruction cost would be to use the remaining good pilings to hold a floating replacement dock in place - would eliminate most in-water work and might be cheaper than rebuilding the existing dock, depending on how big your boat is. Over-sleeving the bad pilings with a tubular sleeve and concrete infill might also be cheaper than driving new ones.

A simple redeck job could be handled by a carpenter or maybe a decking contractor - structural repairs will require a marine contractor. Check with local boatyards, harbormasters, boating clubs, neighbors for recommendations.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy