Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/29/2014

I need recommendations for a person who can repair a picture window that has wood-rot. I live in Southfield, MI

The window is about 6 ft in length. There is a two-level flower bed, which has been there for several years--before I moved into the property in 2006. This year, I started to remove the bed, because the retainer wall started to crumble from the heavy snow this past winter; this is when I saw that there was wood-rot behind the dirt. The previous owners never bothered to put a protectant on the wood. I didn't remove all of the dirt, so I don't know the extent of the rot.

I would like to get this fixed soon, by someone who is very good, but charges a reasonable price. I live in Southfield, Michigan. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Talk to a window contractor or finish carpenter - if just sill and brickmold (exterior trim) that rotted, probably about $150-250 range to replace and paint. If rotted into the window frame itself, then probably more like $300-600 range to repair. Just ballpark guess - if general rot or fungal decay, could be window is totalled. If that were case you could probably poke your finger into the wood, and pull it out barehanded.

Bear in mind window contractor will probably push for new windows (pricey that large), whereas a carpenter or even handyman (if only trim and sill rotted) will do the repair route, using new wood or plastic trim, and maybe some penetrating wood preservative if bits of the frame were affected but not too badly.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy