Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/1/2016

I need someone to replace a basement wall

It is a block wall that needs to be replaced, I would prefer a poured concrete wall but may replace with block depending on cost. It is about 33' long and 7.5' tall there won't be any doors or windows in it. The septic line goes out through this wall.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


If it needs replacing, a Structural engineer (if structural failure due to house load) or Geotechnical Engineer (if failing due to water/earth loads) should redesign it first, so it can handle the applied loads - or if soil or water loads caused the failure, design either for the applied load or to reduce the loads by changing conditions outside the wall. replacing it without finding the cause and designing to handle the cause will jsut result in anotehr failure.

A Civil Engineering firm with both structural and geotechnical (soils and foundations and water) capability can do this (not an Angies List Search the List category), so can an Architecture/Engineering firm (Architects is the category) with engineers on staff. You are going to need an Engineer's design to get a building permit and for contractors to bid on and then the selected contractor to build to anyway.

Depending on site water conditions, you may need to take special care with the septic line to waterproof the penetration with a flexible collar to waterproof the penetration - because you do NOT want to just mortar or concrete it in - asking for failure as the backfill settles differently than the wall. And the backfill below, around, and above the pipe should get "special compaction" to minimize the risk of significant settlement and pipe breakage. Depending on conditions, sometimes an oversized rigid ductile or steel or heavy-duty HDPE pipe is run through the wall and through the wall backfill as a protective sleve to protect the septic line ands to prevent sudden changes in settlement at the wall, with both the sleeve and the sewer line being waterproofed at the inside and at the outside of the wall.

Then you will need a Foundation Repair or General Contractor to support the house and replace the wall.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Chris in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy