Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/1/2013

I need someone to come and replace some brick that is falling from the front of my house.

There is a section of brick on the front of my home, by my front door, that is broke away from the house. The brick on the front of the house is only 1/2 way up from the ground. The whole section by the front door needs to be secured back to the house. Also, two of the bricks have come lose and have fallen off and need to be placed back into where they belong.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

4 Answers


Hello, this is Kiel from Angie’s List. Although Angie's List doesn't directly endorse any companies, we do have almost 2 million members who’ll tell you who’s the best company to hire! Unlock access to read their reviews of Masonry providers in your area by joining Angie's List with promo code ANSWERS and get 20% off your annual membership!

Thanks so much!

Answered 7 years ago by KielH


You need a brick mason - Search the List (in green banner bar) for local ones and ratings and reviews.

While he is repairing that section, have him check for other loose sections (or you can by "sounding" - tapping with a stick or plastic or rubber hammer for a "drummy" sound - see what the know bad section sounds like, then check rest of facade.

You should have him point/caulk the top of the facade all around while he is there, to ensure waertight - facades usually fail because water gets down behind them, causing rot or frost heave.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD


Be sure who fixes this issue uses some sort of brick tie fastened to the main structure. This tie should protrude in-between the bricks. Secure with tie very other brick in each direction and use brick mortor as brick is layer back in.

Answered 7 years ago by AmericanCoastal


The ties AmericanCoastal is talking about are installed like this -

Come in many configurations - here are some examples of what they can look like -

The issue of whether you rebuild or just tie back the pulled-away section would be a question in some peoples minds. While you could, in theory, tie it back to the wall as one unit, it will almost certainly crack locally, and may bulge where bits of debris got down behind it. I would strongly recommend removal of the damaged part and relaying the bricks - typically, the mason can salvage 90% or so of the bricks, so few new ones should be needed. Cost probably about $2-3/SF assuming access is reasonable.

If there are other drummy sections that have not pulled away yet, there are tiebacks that can be drilled through the grout and installed to hold those areas, then waterproof the top edge really well.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy