Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/3/2016

I want to replace gas clothes dryer with an all-electric one. Who do I contact about disconnecting gas

Do I contact a plumber? My energy provider?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Voted Best Answer

You should have a gas shutoff valve, typically quite near the floor where the gas pipe comes through the floor or wall - the flex tubing to the dryer connects to that. Normally they just turn that valve off and disconnect the gas tubing - good idea to at least put a plastic baggie over it to keep dirt out of the valve, you can also (which I like) buy threaded caps (usually takes a special gas tubing thread) that you can put on with gas-rated teflon tape as a backup against the valve leaking a bit.

The appliance installer usually does the gas flex tubing removal - and capping if you provide a cap and teflon (yellow type) tape (obtain at plumbing supply or home improvement store).

Of course, if you do not have a 220/240V outlet for the dryer, you will need that installed by an electrician first - typically at least $250-350 with easy exposed beam basement/crawlspace access under it, not unusual to reach $500-1000 + if having to go through drywalled walls that will then need repair after the install. Can reach much more if your electric service or breaker panel does not have the capacity for the increased load so needs upgrading, so if you do not have the outlet there I would get a quote for the electrical FIRST - might scotch the idea of the electric dryer.

Typical 220/240V outlet is almost certainly NOT the one the gas dryer goes into - that usually has a normal 110V plug like the washer. Here is a link to a short article on the electric outlet appearance for 220/240V service, and also one picture shows the gas shutoff cvalve (red handle behind the dryer), but not always red - sometimes yellow, sometimes plain brass.

It will be necessary to confirm the outlet you have matches the amperage rating for the dryer - some newer dryers are higher powered and cannot run off an older outlet. Here is a link to the various outlet shapes and corresponding amperage - gets complex because of grounded and ungrounded variations, straight prong versus twist-lock type, etc. While it is possible to get the outlet type changed or to get a wire for the dryer that matches your outlet the outlet, ,cord, and breaker have to be rated for the amperage rating of the dryer. Sometimes takes some juggling with older houses, and in older houses without 30Amp or greater outlets some newer dryers cannot be used - as some now go up to 50A.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy