Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/26/2013

I'm looking or roofers that spray polyurethane foam for flat roofs. Are there any businesses on Angie's list.

I'm looking for get my flat roof better insulated

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


You need to discuss it with a good roofer, because depending on the type of roof you have, this could be one of the worst things you can do. Generally speaking, unless the roof was specifically designed for inside face insulation, you are far better off insulating on the building side, and ventilating the attic space.

Not only does underside insulation trap any water that makes it to the sheathing and prevent it from evaporating guaranteeing sheating rot plus possible overloading as the foam gets saturated, it also causes overheating of the roof surface. I have seen flat built-up (tar) roofs with 8 inches of sprayed foam on the underside that kept the roof surface so hot the tar was liquid in the midday sun, and IRMA roofs with the lining so degraded after only a few years that it crumbled in your hands.

Bear in mind also that the insulation makes it much more expensive and difficult if sheathing ever has to be removed, and makes finding the source of leaks from the underside impossible.

Your contractor would be a Roofer to evaluate the roof situation, and an Insulation contractor for the actual installation, if you go ahead with it.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy