Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/10/2012

I have a shower with a lot of grout missing / damaged and possibly water damage to the walls behind. What sort of business should I call?

I don't know whether to call a plumber, a grout cleaner or repairer, a bathroom remodeller, a tile installer, or a water damage company. I need someone to look at the mess and tell me how bad it is and what to do first.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


We called Ceramic Tile Repair persons. They were able to check the wall and determine if there was any damage and do a repair if necessary. We had 3 very different estimates of what was wrong - how much of the wall, if any, was water damaged. Luckily we had worked with a tile installer who installed flooring we'd purchased several years before and found he was free. The wall was OK. He regrouted and caulked and charged right in the middle of the estimates.

Answered 8 years ago by keikosmom


The most important thing is to asses whether there's mold or damage to the drywall, if that's what's behind the tile. If you do find mold or damaged drywall, then you'll want to remove all the tile and damaged drywall and replace them. The biggest fear is that mold has started growing inside the wall. The easiest way to check might be to cut a small hole or two in the back side of those shower walls. Hopefully it would be in a closet or something, but it's the easiest way to see inside the walls without removing any tile. If you don't see any mold or damaged drywall, then you only have the small patches on the backside of the wall.

I would look for a remodeler or a handyman that can do the drywall and tile work all by themself without needing to subcontract anything. Make sure he's willing to repair the grout if that's all that you really need.

Cracked grout causes water damage somewhere at every moment of the day. Failure to maintain grout and caulking causes thousands of dollars needlessly. You should also know that when tile work meets in two different planes, then the joint should be caulked rather than grouted. i.e. where two adjacent walls meet, or where a wall meets a shower floor or tub, you should always caulk instead of using grout, because the grout will always crack and start to fall out eventually.

Answered 8 years ago by JGHamm

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy