Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/5/2017

I have a small crack starting from my roof going down about 2 feet how do I know what caused it?

It has recently been storming in California, I am not sure if this is a sign I need to repair my roof?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Sounds like a settlement issue - if in the roof could be due to rotting or failing roof framing. If in the house outside wall, then likely a settlement crack - rarely due to rotting wall framing letting the roof weight crush it, but usually due to foundation settlement.

Or with brick facade (not structural brick) can be an indication of the start of a fastening failure - that it is starting to peel away from the house framing.

If you can take a couple of photos (one relatively close-up, one from 5-10 feet back and catching the general roof/wall area as well) you can post them (in GIF, JPG, PNG format) by clicking on the yellow Answer This Question button right below your question - then in the Your Answer response box that pops up, click on the leftmost yellow icon in the answer box top border - that allows you to download a photo in the "answer".

Once the photo(s) are posted I will respond back with a hopefully somewhat more knowledgeable response on what I think the cause is and what next step I recommend.

Otherwise, if it is a crack in the roof that will need repair (in addition to any underlying issue) so a Roofer is the Search the List category I would start with. If in the wall, then without more details I would say a Structural Engineer would be the category to start with.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Chris in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy