Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/12/2017

I have two story house. My kitchen window leaks water bad when it rains and wind blows hard.

The window above the kitchen window does not leak. We have caulk around window but still leaks just when heavy rains and wind

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Since you say you are caulked around the frame (sealing the joint between frame and siding) and assuming this is recent, and particularly since this only occurs in blowing rain, sounds like a weatherstrip failure in the window unit itself.

Generally, an outside-of-the-frame or flashing leak will leak out inside AROUND the frame or from the wall itself - if it is leaking INSIDE the outer frame, into the bottom track say, then it is usually a window seal leak - or the drain holes in the bottom sill/track are blocked and not allowing the water to drain to the outside. Those drains can be just through the track to the surface of the outside sill, or in non-wood sill can be drain passages cast into the outer sill, exiting typically at the underlip of the sill where it overhangs the siding - commonly a vacuum cleaner or piece of coathanger wire can clean out the concealed ones.

When blowing and raining (or using a hose) check for wetness in the tracks or coming in through the seam between window units, ,and typically pooling on top of the bottom window unit in vertical sash windows (if blowing in between the two sashes), or getting in and pooling at side or bottom track, then running out over the inner sill - or sometimes leaking out at the ends of the inner sill and then coming out just under the window or down into the wall.

Another way to check - if you can easily get to the outside - use leaf blower (if super power one do not put full power on the center of the glass) to pressure up the air at the outside surface, moving it all around the edges and overlaps, while someone else feels around the inside with wet hand to feel the cooling from the airflow through the seals.

Most common seals are fairly readily replaced and available at box home improvement stores or Amazon or such - fancier types only from the manufacturer sometimes.

Here are a bunch of related questions with answers FYI:

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy