Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/30/2014

I am unhappy with quality of work done by pool contractor. He is also 3 weeks behind schedule.

Work done by pool contractor is sub-standard. Concrete had to be ripped up & redone twice, yet surface is still uneven & looks unprofessional. Fiberglass also had to be ripped out & redone. The yard is a filthy mess & unusable. Work is nearly four weeks behind schedule. Now contractor is threatening to halt progress unless final payment is made, despite previous agreement that final payment was to be made upon satisfactory completion of all work. Work is not completed according to proposed time schedule - workers only attend sporadically, sometimes not appearing for days. I am extremely unhappy with the quality of workmanship, not to mention the inconvenience, mess, smell & frustration. What are my legal options? Am I entitled to any compensation for the lost time, inconvenience, failed delivery of quality workmanship?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Time to see an attorney specializingin construction/home improvement contract claims - first about calling the contractor's bond (he is bonded I hope), secondly about formally terminating him. Do NOT pay any more - if contact says final payment upon satisfactory completion, he is owed no more. Sounds like he is trying to get final payment from you before he bails from your job.

Calling his bond can get the job redone correctly and completed, not going to pay you anything for hassle. Damage to your property you might be able to file a claim with his insurance company for.

Otherwise, to recover damages other than possible return of paid monies, you would have to sue him - likely to recover monies to get your yard back in shape, unlikely to get any compensation for your hassle or personal distress.

Hate to say it, but the second time something had to be torn out or was unsatisfactory the second time around wouldhave been the time to fire him.

Hope you had a written contract on this.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy