Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/25/2016

I have water coming in from a foundation or structural crack. Who would I call for this? and should they be licens

When heavy rain comes, water seep into the basement. I think there's a crack (brick separation) in wall at lower base of brick house. I don't know who to call to get estimate to fix.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


In the Home > Basement Waterproofing link in Browse Projects, there are a LOT of answers to this type question - some with fairly lengthy checklists of causes and ways to limit the water so it does not make it to the foundation in the first place. Also a lot of discussions on the good and bad's of basement water control. Since you say this happens only with heavy rains, especially if fairly well coordinated with rainfall rather than extending for days after due to elevated water table, almost certainly controllable just by controlling the rainfall runoff and getting/keeping it away from the outside of the foundation.

If not controllable by exterior runoff control, then sometimes (especially if unfinished basement so a touch of occasional seepage might not hurt) pressure grouting the crack will solve it. Obviously if a significant crack, especially if diagonal, then a Civil Engineer (Structural or Geotechnical) should look at it to see if a significant issue, and also to recommned a fix.

In other case, especially if coming through a lot of joints, exterior excavation and placement of waterproofing compound and membrane on the outside of the wall, combined with a french drain to keep the water level down, will handle it.

In rare cases, generally where the problem is due to elevated water table which cannot be drawn down by french drain due to soil permeability or because you are in a perenially high groundwater area, then basement underslab drench drains and sump pump are needed - but should generally be the last resort from a "permanent solution" standpoint, though can frequently be cheaper than exterior foundation waterproofing in all but new construction.

Costs highly variable - can be near zero cost DIY in controlling roof runoff and diverting downspout flow away from house or doing a bit of sloping or berming to control surface water, to $5-10,000 or more for a full house exterior waterproofing and french drain system for a roughly 2000SF house.

Foundation crack repair contractor - usually Foundation Repair contractor is your Search the List category. For water problems, Basement Waterproofing is the usual category. Some companies will be on both lists. Just remember, if you have them assess the issue their tendency will be to recommned the fixes they usually do - which might or might not be the most efffectvie or economical, so get several opinions or get an engineer to assess it first.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy