Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/26/2018

I need a window expert on double paned windows to replace or fix a window in Chula Vista California

The window is leaking through the top screws of the window, I think.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Assuming you mean into the frame area, not between the double panes (where there wouldnormally not be screws anyway), sounds like you have a leak coming in from above - rarely from upper level window or pipe leak through the wall, but very commonly if coming in throught he top of the frame, the top flashing/caulking is leaking - at the top of the window outside. Commonly a simple cut away caulk and recaulk job, though sometimes more.

Commonly, a handyman is initially used to see if the top caulk has peeled free or cracked away - if so, easy fix using long-life silicone caulk (or siliconized latex if needs to be painted to match after curing). Otherwise, generally a Window contractor is needed, but they are hard to get to come out for a single window repair, and commonly charge around $150-250 for a visit - paertly to discourage small jobs, and also because generally they come as a 2-man crew assuming the window may need to be removed from the opening to fix the problem.

You can also find a LOT of previous similar questions about window leak issues, in the Home > Windows link under Browse Projects, at lower left.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy