Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/4/2015

I have window panes over my patio room. Who do I find to see if they can fix the frames?

There is only one out of 4 window panes that has slipped down from the wood frame that held it. The rain poured in and soaked a lot of storage boxes with photos and papers. I cannot climb up on the roof to see the extinct of damage there is. Inside the patio room, looking up, the windows are surrounded by metal frames. I need to get a quote of how much it will cost me to fix the problem.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


You say a wooden frame that held it (which may only be a surficial trim, not actually the frame, or could be the actual window frame) but the glass is in a metal frame - so that says to me probably wood frame windows, with a multi-pane glazing unit enclosed in an aluminum seal.

If the multi-pane window glazing unit is not leaking, it may be they can just remnove the outer trim price and slide it back into position, caulk it, then put the wooden trim back on. if it leaked/was broken so the original inert gas escaped and was replaced with moist air, then the entire metal seal and glass unit needs replacing.

A Glass Replacement company should be able to do it fine - possibly in the $100-150 range for a simple slide back into polace and caulk job (assuming decent access - like off a ladder or the roof, not requiring a manlift to access the center of a solid glass roof, for instance), on up to around $200-400 for normal size glazing unit replacement depending on number of panes and anuy special anti-glare or ultraviolet or similar filtering. That would be for up to maybe roughly 2 to 3 by 3 or so foot unit - obviously can get up into many hundreds to thousand plus for very large glass areas - also if hurricane/impact resistant glass can add 50% or so to total job cost.

Obviously, clear out under that area till fixed (and probably till proven fixed by hose or a good rain), and probably put an inverted tarp under it to drain into a large tub or bucket too to protect flooring/walls from any water.

When you call the company, you might tell them you want them to come prepared to temporarily wood cover or caulk the frame (as applicable) if they cannot fix it that day as well, to reduce the chance of another inflow while waiting for replacement glazing unit (5-10 days typically) if that is found to be needed.

One other thought - since one slipped, should probably have them reseal all four when there so it does not happen to another unit as well.

There is a possibility, especially if this is an old window, that the slippage was due to rotting out of the wood below the glass which would usually mean a total window unit replacement - but if that were the case you would usually have seen leakage duyring the rotting out phase.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy