Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/16/2013

If a builder is licensed, does that mean he is bonded and insured?

I'm having my house resided. How can I know if the person doing it is bonded and insured? He is licensed.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Not necessarily. Not all licensing agencies require any insurance or bonds. Some require one or the other. The only way to know is to check and ask. Be mindful that a contractor with insurance and any type of bond will be more expensive than one without. Seeing how it sounds like you've already contracted with the contractor it is a little too late to be asking these questions. However, ask him if he has either or both. If he does ask for a copy of the certificates for both to keep in your files and verify all information. If the licensing authority for your area requires insurance and/or a bond they will likely have that information on file and can provide it to you as well. Texas has no general contractor licensing so there is no authority to require insurance and bonding. A few major cities have taken up forcing the issue of insurance but the registration process used often instead of licensing is quite misleading to the average citizen. Check to see if he is registered or licensed. If his number is for a registration and he is claiming it is a license you already have a huge red flag that he is misleading customers. A registration is just that: he paid a fee and was issued an id. A license means he demonstrated knowledge and competency in his field to be certified to do the work. This is usually done with testing and occassionally requires an apprenticeship.

Answered 7 years ago by Todd's Home Services


Here is an Angie's List article that cann clarify the bonding, licensing, insurance issue -

Unfortunately, the politicians have made a mess of the licensing issue - different states and jurisdictions call it licensing, registration, certification, permitting, etc.

Basically, there are 3 types of government recognition of contractors -

1) A business license, which is basically just a revenue producer for the government

2) A "registration" that in some states means the company is recognized to practice in a certain business, but is not "licensed" to work in that field unless it has a licensed professional running the work

3) Licensing or Certification or Registration, which in most states means the individual (not the company) is licensed to perform work in a certain field such as plumbing, civil engineering, barbering, doctoring, etc. as applicable, and is based on testing years of experience as a trainee or apprentice and sometimes having a professional association certification.

This third one is the important one to you, and most states have the current active licensing list online - google something like this example - Texas plumbing licensee list

and in this case it takes you to the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners, which has a listing of individuals licensed to perform plumbing in the state.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy