Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/19/2015

Inssurance did not cover the master bath. leak was noticed 3 feet away from shower from under the base board

Adjustor came out he said this was a long time problem. Insurance does not cover this issue. The leak started coming out of the shower door where there was a small hole. Traveled down till it could find another place to enter.
Over time it has made its way over to the wall left of the shower, no connection to any water pipes on that wall, this wall backs to my den. Water would seep from under the base board. I figure we will have to tear out the tile to get to this issue. I just don't know where to turn. HELP!!

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


right about the insruance - it does not cover long-term or progressive damage, just instantaneous type leaks and electrical shorts and such.

Your best bet is a Remodeling - Kitchen and Bath contractor.

Assuming the leak at the shower door is now caulked you have "gotten to the issue" as you put it, so now the issue is repairing any damage,not finding and repairing the leak. The first thing to do is investigate the location and amount of damage - probably using a fiber optic inspection camera (requires about 1/2" holes in the walls and underlying ceilings) to check out how much floor and wall decay you have (if any) - then a scope of work and bid can be prepared from there, which might be a mold remediation contractor for minor damage, or a kitchen and bath general contractor if areas fo floor and wall needto be torn out. All depends on how long this was going on.

I am thinking, since you said it migrated laterally across the bathroom to what I interpret as a same-level den, that maybe you are on a concrete slab on grade or in a basement ? In that case, drying the area out with a large fan for a couple of days might be all you need - and maybe checking behind the baseboard to see if the studwall bottom plate is rotted, and repairing any cracked tile grout from the water getting under it.

It is also possible, even if a wood subfloor, that the water migrated on top of the tile or under the tile but on top of the mortar bed (if it has one) or underlying moisture barrier to the den wall, causing little or not subfloor damage because it might not have gotten that far down.

You might even do this preliminary inspection yourself - rent COLOR video inspection camera at Home Depot or a Tool Rental place or some auto parts stores for about $25-40/day (or buy at Harbor Freight or Amazon for $75-100) and drill a few small holes in the known wet wall/underlhying ceilings and inspect, tracing the wetness and any mold/fungal growth/dryrot from there as appropriate, using spackle or drywall compound and paint to repair the holes afterwards (or have contractor do that if major work is going to be required).

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy