Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/31/2016

Is the elerical company responable to repair the riser on top of your home

Riser bent on top of my house. Who responsible for the repair

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Sorry - meant to address that in my prior response, but got interrupted and failed to include it when I finished up the answer.

Call your utility customer service number to ask or the answer will quite likely be in the FAQ's on their website.

In almost all areas the mast is your responsibility, even if the utility "termination point" is where their wires connect at the meter. Some utilities have the responsibility "termination point" at the meter panel (with the panel almaost always being yours but the meter itself theirs, and all wires on "their side" of the meter panel theirs), some own the meter but the actual service termination point is at the splice at the weatherhead on the top of the mast (or at the transformer for buried utility lines or at weatherhead on power pole for buried service drop to house from overhead distribution lines), some terminate at the transformer for both above-ground and underground connections. Generally, but not universally, if there is no splice at the top of the mast (rare) the termination point is usually at the meter panel BUT the mast is almost always customer-provided and maintained; if there is a splice like the following link then that is commonly the termination point. Every utility has its own rules, in other areas the Public Service Commission establishes the termination point for all utilities in the state.

Bottom line - probably about 50:1 odds the mast is your responsibility, meaning you need an electrician to come and repair it. A reputable Master Electrician (many areas require utility connections and meter-to-mast work be done by Master Electrician, not a Journeyman or Apprentice) will certainly know where the termination point and responsibility lies for your area.

BTW - note that the incoming lines should have an anchor firmly into framing at the roof with stay cables to the lines to carry the line load - the line load should not be pulling on the mast if it is hooked to the house, or pulling on the weatherhead - the splices and the line going from them into the conduit on the mast should be "slack", not under tension, to avoid pulling the connections apart or fraying the insulation on the cables.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy