Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/2/2014

Large diagonal crack from doorframe to ceiling and horizontal ceiling crack. What kind of service provider ? Ups

Condo, built in 1978. Upstairs bedroom wall. Crack appears on both sides of wall. Floor slopes in this area as well. Door is becoming difficult to open.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


That is a classic shear failure in the drywall. Sounds like your floor is sagging, at least at that point. Could be due to roof loading or support issues. If you mean the horizontal ceiling crack is where the wall meets the ceiling, then sounds more like a floor joist issue - could be you have underdesigned flooring, you have loaded it too heavily with bookshelves and such, or you have water damage from a slow leak that has rotted floor joists, or possibly some deeper-seated problem like a foundation problem. One other thing that commonly causes this is the idiot designers who put non-load bearing walls upstairs that are full-height and contact the roof trusses or joists, and do not have a matching wall below them downstairs. Even though non-load bearing by design, the roof supports touch them so use them for support rather than deflecting under load as they normally would, pushing down on the wall, which then deflects the floor joists underneath the wall. VERY common between back to back upstairs bathrooms.

You need a Structural Engineer, my friend - probably $250-400 range for a site inspection and looksee, then you see where you need to go based on what he finds. For him to really see what is goingon, he will likely have to drill or cut a few holes in ceiling downstairs and maybe walls, and will have to get into attic, so there will be a bit of drywall damage to repair afterwards, which will require a different contractor though he may be ableto give you references - or just wait and have that fixed along with whatever repairs are needed.

If you only have singlefloor upstairs, then you may have an issue getting permission to get into condo downstairs for inspetion and late repairs. If structural issue, check with condo association bylaws and agreement and such about who is responsible - this may be a condo association proboem, not yours at all.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy