Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/26/2014

Leaky/Rotting Extended Bay Window - Window guy, Roofing guy, Siding guy, Contractor?

I've got a large, second floor bay window that extends from the side of the brick building and has a roof section and flashing. We're getting water in the house during storms and it seems like there's quite a lot of rot around the frame/structure of the window. Not sure what type of worker to get out here to look at it. It's not a glass issue so this feels like it might be a bit bigger than what your average window guy sees. I suspect the root issue is with water penetrating from above where the small roof over the bay is, but if this isn't repairable a replacement would be a big job.

Any advice on where to start looking?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Depends on where the "lot of rot" is - if confined to sills and trim and such then a window company, a carpenter (woodworking), or even a Handyman might be able to handle it. IF the window frame itselfis rotted, then probably need removal at a minimum, andif significant will probably be cheaperto replace the window units and rebuild the bay structure than to do major repairs - unless a DIY job, of course.

If it is due to leakage from the roof or the overhang roof, then a roofer or General Contractor is you category to Search the List for.

If you don't know, I would go with a Remodel - General Carpenter who can handle the roofing, leakage, replacement of any damaged wall materials, and either the repair ofthe window unit or its replacement, since you don't know right now what you are into. Any other category and you risk getting into the middle of it and finding you need a different typeof contractor.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy