Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/12/2014

Looking for Paint exterior of two story home with replacement of rotted wood included

Home is a wood exterior Garden Home in NW Austin which has rotted wood siding with some paint peeling. It needs to be repainted after replacement of the rotted panels; who does this? I don't want to buy a Deal and then have them decline because of the need to replace rotted pieces.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


You definitely need a Siding contractor at a minimum - some will do the full painting too, some will say you need to get a Painter to do that. Ideally, the boards should be surface and edge sealed, primed, and painted at least one coat first, then the second (or third) coat done after the boards are up.

If you have peeling paint, likely the wrong type of finish or poor preparation or lack of back drainage - the cause of that should be investigated first before doing the residing, or you are just going to have more rot in the future - sounds like you might be needing a full strip and refinish operation. Probably be a good idea to strip off a couple of the worst boards as an investigation first (with replacement boards ready to go in, even if only temporary ones) to see if you have wall rot, if you have a proper water barrier behind the boards, if water has been running down the back side of the boards, etc.

Typically, people just paint wood when what you generally need is a good penetrating paintable sealer to limit the ability of the wood to absorb wood first, then prime (preferably oil based), then two coats of good quality paint - or with absorbant naturally oily woods like redwood or cedar typically a penetrating oil based stain performs better.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy