Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/7/2014

Looking for vendors to potentially fill in an inground pool

Pool is 18x36 has not been used since 2011. When we bought house we knew we would have to deal with it eventually. Have been in home for a year and it will be properly covered in the mean time.Pool has Vinyl Liner. Approx 800 sq. ft. of concrete surrounds it that I would want removed as well.

I have a quote to reconstruct pool since it has structural issues, but am also looking to find vendors who can quote filling it in so I can have all my information before making a decision.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

Hello, this is Kyle K from the Member Care Department.

It sounds like you'll need the services of a landscaping company. After you've signed in to, try searching "Landscaping" using the "Search the List" tab in the main green navigation bar.

If you would like to see some Angie's List search results for landscaping contactors in your area in this forum, please let me know by responding in line with this Q&A by submitting a new answer.

You can also reach us at or toll-free at 1-866-783-2980 to speak with a live representative. Our call center hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am-8:15 pm Eastern Time or Saturday from 8:30 am-3:00 pm ET.

Thanks for writing! - Kyle K

Answered 6 years ago by Member Services


If you look in the Home> Pools and Hot Tubs link right under your question, you will find several former similar questions and responses, including info on the need to perforate the pool to allow drainage to avoid a swamp, the need to fill with compacted free-draining fill (unless local regs say otherwise to protect water table), some local regs requiring total removal rather than filling in, etc.

If you are looking for a company to remove and then rehabilitate the surface a Landscaping company should work, as Kyle said. If only removal, an Excavation contractor is probably cheaper.

I would emphatically recommend waiting a year before landscaping over it unless you are doing a landscaped mound, because you will get both total and differential settlement over time, with probably 3/4 or so in the first year or so. Ditto to putting any structure or blocks or stonewalls or anything there. Otherwise, if you plant now, you will have a sag next year, and if you fill that in with topsoil then you will have a boggy spot where the topsoil is thick and stays wet, and of course any structure will bow and deform.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy