Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/19/2013

Mold removal specialist?

Mold behind dishwasher in kitchen.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!

1
Vote

Mold growth behind a dishwasher, in most cases, occurs due to a water event. Either a leak from pipes leading to or from, or from an overflow or a bad seal. A water event that affects cellulosic material (paper, cardboard or wood) can produce Stachbotrys toxic mold, which can be more harmful than common allergenic mold.


If the area of damage is smaller than 10 sq ft, it doesn't matter the type of mold, you can take care of this yourself. Depending on severity, you will need to either clean it up or cut out the damaged material. If cleaning is all you need to do, wipe down the area with a damp cloth and mild detergent (any detergent will do) then paint with an anti fungal paint to help prevent something like this from happening again. If you have to cut the material out, bag it into 3mil contractor bag, tie or tape it shut and set curbside for your garbage service. Clean all newly exposed materials with a damp cloth and mild detergent, paint with anti fungal paint then replace material.


When cleaning, you should protect yourself from exposure. You should weare disposable gloves to prevent absorbtion and an N-95 or N-100 NIOSH Approved paper respirator, to prevent inhalation.

Answered 5 years ago by Fungi




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy