Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/8/2015

Mold removal specialist and skylight replacement

What kind of contractor do I need to contact to take care of mold on bathroom ceiling and replace skylight?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Mold Testing and Remediation is your category for the mold control, unless it is fairly light and can just be cleaned off then treated with Kilz before painting over it. Then a painter to repaint.

Skylight replacement requires a Window contractor with skylight expertise.

To get all three in one contract you need a Remodeling - Kitchen and Bath contractor.

Before tackling all that though, you need to consider the cause - mold on the ceiling (as opposed to the top of the outer walls) generally indicates inadequate or incomplete insulation in the ceiling, as well as inadequate moisture removal, especially after showers. So, you may be looking at upgrading the bathroom fan (presuming it has one, which it should), and maybe attic insulation improvement first, otherwise it will probably just mold back up.

BTW - bathroom skylight (if in bathroom) - invitation to trouble if you have cold nights or a true winter - invitation to mold in the tunnel and underside of the skylight unless it is actively ventilated in the tunnel.

Hint - in addition to using Kilz Max or similar to treat the cleaned-off and bleached mold before priming and painting, I always recommend mildewcide additive for all bathroom and kitchen paints. With whites,you need to be sure it specifically says it is suitable for use with white, because many of them very slightly tinge the paint - only noticeable in white if mixed adequately. Cost about $5-7 for enough to treat 1 gallon of paint, less in quantity. Go with the fine Mil-Do-Kill powder or liquid like MX-3, not the paste type like Rustoleum or CrudKritter - they do not mix in worth beans.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy