Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/3/2011

Musty/moldy smell in bedroom - who to call to diagnose?

a growing musty odor in our master bedroom on the wall adjacent to a 1/2 bathroom. I have inspected for visual water damage or dampness and cannot find any, but both rooms are above crawl and we are wondering if there is a leak in the walls or below. Is there someone I should call before I call a plumber? Since we don't know the source, I am not sure who to call.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I would physically go into the crawlspace and see what you find. If you have a slow leak in the shower valve of the adjacent bathroom (for example), you may or may not see or feel it in the drywall inside either bathroom but you wiill see it from below.

Look for signs of rot in the subfloor while in the crawlspace as well as discolored floor insulation.

Also go into the attic and see if there is a condensate line from your air handler in that wall. Many times, these condensate lines get punctured by screws from the drywaller and nobody knows of the small leak for years. Same thing for plumbing water supply lines.

IMO, its either a leaky shower valve or a leaky condensate line in the wall cavity.


Answered 9 years ago by Tidewaterbc

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy