Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/1/2017

My contractor pulled a permit using someone else's license, how do I report him?

I live in MA, and I hired a home improvement contractor who I found out pulled a permit using the license of someone else, who is a construction supervisor. It turns out HIC had no license and did more damage on my property than any work I asked for. I do not know how he was able to do this, but how do I report him, and to whom? I would like to stop him from doing this to other people.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


A Construction Supervisor is not allowed to "build" a building - he is licensed to supervise the construction of buildings, or major additions or remodels of existing building, under 35,000SF as I recall (larger buildings require a licensed professional engineer or architect). If the other person (the license holder) did no work on the job (as opposed to being the general contractor under a contractor's license and he hired your guy to do the work), then this would be illegal. You can report it to the local building department, to get them to take action by not accepting building permits with that person's number on it unless that person actually signs the permit appliction himself. You could also report it to the business licensing agency in your area if the contractor is required to have a contractor's license to offer service in his field and he does not have it - they can pull his business license. (According to state website, corporations get business licenses from the state, small businesses/sole proprietorships from local townships and cities. This is in additional to any required state professions license needed to do the type of work he is doing.)

On the state contractor licensing level, below are several links about home improvement contractor complaints and a link to the place to report a contractor who you think is breaking the law. Note in the first link there are exceptions to the licensing law - see FAQ #2 - like for certain types of "architectural finishes" like flooring and cabinets and painting and such, and also if the totsl job amount is not over $500 or the contractor does not do over $5000/year in business, and so on - read through the exceptions.

Course, realize the local building department may come back for a more detailed inspection, or require a new permit be pulled by a licensed contractor, if you notify them that he did the work unlicensed if he should have been licensed.

If he did a lousy job or damaged other things, if he was bonded and insured (you did make sure he was bonded and insured before choosing him, right ?) then if he will not make it right or pay for another contractor to do so, for poor workmanship you could call his Bond to have the bonding company pay to get the work redone correctly. If he damaged things not related to the immediate work being done (say punched holes in the walls in stairwells or halls carrying materials around, or dripped paint on carpets say) then his liability insurance would normally cover that. Sometimes the bond - depends on how directly related to the work the damage was. Say, carrying and dripping paint or paint overspray might well be covered under the bond, whereas backing his truck into your garage door likely would be insurance covered.

You could also, if he was not appropriately licensed, report that to Angies List if he is listed on AL. And of course, after all is said and done, an appropriate Review on Angies List would help get the word out.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD


BTW - if the construction supervisor knew his license was being used but he was NOT providing construction supervision services, report him too. And HIS bond and insurance might also be subject to claims by you - though if the use of his number by the home improvement contractor was without his knowledge or permission they might have an out on that basis.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy