Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/14/2013

My home has a brick front and one of the brick ties has broken. The brick wall is pulling away from the house.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here are directly applicable responses to a couple of similar questions -

You need a Mason / Masonry contractor - Search the List inthe green banner bar for local ones and their ratings and reviews. Depending on how serious it is and how far it has pulled away, might or might not necessitate removal of a section and installation or new ties.

A key to preventing this (other than putting in proper ties, which is commonly skipped in this day of mastic sdhesives), is putting a proper bevel "crown" of mortar on top of the top bricks to direct water away from the wall, and proper caulking and flashing to direct any water running down the wall out onto the crown or even beyond the bricks, so water does not get down behind them and cause separation due to rusting of the ties or frost jacking.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy