Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/7/2016

My neighbor has thrown a tarp over her privacy fence that freely hangs. I don't want to look at it. What can I do

it flaps in the wind, looks bad, she is doing it on purpose. She owns 3inches of property past her fence on my side which she had thought was a foot and half. We both have no trespass issued to each other so there is no way of communication with her.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Moving on to the Hatfields and McCoys here ...

If it flaps into your yard, I guess you could call the police and file a trespassing complaint - sure to escalate your dispute of course, and the next thing might be 10 foot tall pink falmingos in her yard or house-encompassing mauve and puce lighting, so be careful to pick your battles. Ditto about filing a complaint if it makes objectionable noise when flapping,

There might also be an ordinance in your area about the classic blue tarps or such - some areas do have them, prohibiting long-term use of exposure in yards.

Obviously, before calling the police or planning and zoning enforcement, the logical thing would be a nicely phrased note to her asking her to remove it - could be she just hung it out there to dry and forgot about it.

When you say there is a "no trespass" issued to each other - if you actually mean a restraining order, then you could probably go back to court claiming violation of that order - but of course that is in and of itself a further excalation of the neighborhood conflict.

Otherwise, a public nuisance complaint to the appropriate (probably planning and zoning) agency might be fileable.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy