Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/18/2014

My replacement windows need recaulking, and doors could be weatherized as well. Any suggestions on whom to call?

My home was built in 1968 and is a Cape Cod; replacement windows are about 12 years old. One is a bay window with two smaller windows on either side of it. They were installed by, I believe, Thompson. I'm looking to weatherize as much as possible to save on cooling and heating bills (this past winter, the windows were quite drafty).

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

Your best bet might be a carpenter or a handyman. Though you might want a person with an heat loss sensor to see if it is the caulking or the window itself. When you say drafty it makes me think the is a problem with the weaher stripping and not just caulking.


Answered 6 years ago by ContractorDon


Since you are talking primarily weatherstripping, it sounds like, I would go with a Door and Window installation specialty company.

As as Don was saying about the weatherstripping - check where your drafts are - could be through seals in sliding/opening units, between the glazing unit ahd the outer frame, or through the rough opening between the outer frame and the wall and coming out under your inside trim strip. THe latter is VERY common - most window installers caulk the siding contact thinking that will seal the window - but the rough opening is open to the wall cavity which commonily cann move a fair amount of air, so you also have to use foam backer rod and/or low-expanding foam in that cavity before putting on the interior trim strips.

PS - the reason for the low-expansion type is to prevent putting pressure on the window frame and jamming the window - the high-expansion type can severly deform a window or door frame, especially full height doorframes.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy