Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/16/2016

Need architect in the Durham, nc area to advise on renovating staircase to basement and load bearing wall removal

The current staircase has a short tread, high rise, and is not wide enough (house built in 1953). There is space to do all of this, but basically the current staircase needs to be eliminated, then the larger hole would need to be cut in the floor and half would need to be supported - the other half runs along the center beam. Would also like to remove a load bearing wall

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Here is another question with answers and links to other similar questions FYI -

Also more links to similar questions right below this one when you are signe3d in as a user (not necessary to be a "member".

Architect is your Search the List category for this type of work - I would suggest making sure the one you choose has a Structural Engineer either on staff or affiliated with him/her. IF you are just looking for a structural design to be used to get the building permit and to be given to bidders/selected contractor as a scope of work document without any architectural design, you can also just go direct to a Structural Engineer - also a Search the List category. This would be the case if you just wanted the wider stairs, maybe new doorway to it, and then framing out/repair of drywall and painting and flooring and such and you do not want an architect's aesthetic issues input on the layout or finish details.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy