Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 mygfcxx1 95
6 ahowell 95
7 KnowledgeBase 95
8 skbloom 80
9 Guest_98024861 70
10 Guest_9311297 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/22/2014

Need contractor to soundproof wall in Northern, NJ

I own a coop apartment in Passaic Park, New Jersey. Iam interested in soundproofing the connecting wall in my bedroom. I can clearly hear my neighbor talking through my bedroom wall, and I feel like I have no privacy at all. In addition, that side of the wall does have an electrical socket that I need, so I need to know whether that socket can be kept if a new wall is placed over it. Iam also interested in having my soundproofing done with "Green Glue" in between the walls, so if you can refer me to someone who specializes in this, I would appreciate it.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers

Voted Best Answer

Hello, this is Kyle K from the Member Care Department.

I apologize for my delay. We’ll definitely be able to help you locate information on soundproofing providers in your area and just about anything else for your home, yard, car, and any healthcare needs. All we need to do is get you set up with a membership.

You can reach us toll-free at 1-866-783-2980 to speak with a live representative. Our call center hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am-9:00 pm Eastern Time or Saturday from 8:00 am-5:00 pm ET.

Thanks for writing! - Kyle K

Answered 5 years ago by Member Services


there are several methods of achieving this - several recent questions along your line - I would search using google (AL search does not work so hot in the questions area) using this term - a number of recent questions and an article or two pop up on that direct subject -

wall soundproofing angies list

Yes you can use the same outlet if just overlaying a new layer of drywall - using a box extender adapter. If that does not work, a good electrician can knock the box loose and recover the wires, and then install (assuming normal wire length available in box) a "remodel" or "old work" box surrounded in insulation in the new drywall so the cover plate seals correctly against its sound insulation pad.

A "specialist" would be a soundproofing and acoustic insulation specialty contractor - the ones that do studios and sound stages and theaters and such. Normal isolation buffers or green glue (buffers work WAY better) and sound-deadening drywall and such can be put up by regular ddrywall contractor IF you have a sound isolation expert design the system and then oversee the actuall installation to make sure they are getting it right and not leaving "flow points" - direct air paths or continuous hard materials paths that the sound can propogate through without being either reflected back or absorbed.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD


Oops - forget to attach this - here is a link to probably the most extensive set of responses on that issue, from a while back-

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy