Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/1/2012

Need my front door fixed - but what kind of contractor to hire?

I think the door itself is fine (although old), but the frame/hanging needs work. This is a 100 year old house and probably the original door. The door itself is very heavy: thick, 2" thick solid wood, with a large, fairly thick glass window covering maybe 60% of its area. But it doesn't hang right in the door opening: it's slightly tilted, and there are large gaps on several sides. This old house has definitely sagged a bit in some places and there are things that are no longer perfectly square, this door frame is probably one of them. I'm guessing that at some point somebody tried to get the door to work better by sanding/shaving down the top/bottom, so now there are gaps. Not sure if the door needs to be replaced but the frame definitely needs work.
What kind of contractor do I look for here? Carpenter? Handyman? I looked at "Doors" but they all seem to be selling replacement doors, not fixing doors/frames. Suggestions? Thanks!

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


On locating a workman to rehang your door, the least expensive choice is a very able handyman or as a default a carpenter. They should be able to adjust what you have (if enough is left) with new threshold, and weatherstriping. My favorite would be Niagara Conservation's santoprene gasket for the top 3 sides @ 12.95 + shipping and a threshold out of same material, The secret of the gasket is staying soft in sub zero temps,, we used to be able to buy a Silicone gasket from a Minnasota company Wright Energy Solutions if you can find it. The compression against the face of the door seal handles many door gaps on sides and top. It also can be adjusted overtime to compensate for change, I have had same weatherstripping on my exterior doors for over 14 years,


Answered 8 years ago by jccasper

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy