Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/21/2017

Need names for carpenter or contractor in Lansing,MI. To level and or replace a sloped subfloor

Structure is sturdy. Floor slopes to one side.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


First, I would be looking at WHY it slopes - is this an indication of a foundation or subfloor support issue ? (Which could be a minor or a major cost issue to remedy.)

For minor sloping - say maybe up to an inch or so out of level, Flooring contractors commonly do this before installing the flooring - using pourable self-levelling compounds (exact type depends on subfloor material and what is going over it). Commonly around $0.25-1.00/SF for that repair. For a pieced or plank tile or stone floor the additional cost might be negligable - just more thickness in areas of the mud coat, if using a mud coat under it.

Otherwise, for a house which had settlement issues overall usually the entire house would be jacked to level and shimmed at the junction of the foundation and the rim joists (wich proper grouting of the resulting gap). Commonly in the few or a good couple of thousands of $ range. Some FOundation Repair contractors do this, as do some House Moving companies.

If only one room has a problem because of really poor construction initially, or because it was tilted due to rot or termite damage which was fixed but not properly levelled, then you could take up the subfloor, put in custom cut shim pieces on top of the floor joists, and put subflooring back down (possibly even the same subflooring depending on how easy it came up). Carpenter - Framing would be the normal person for this type of repair - or even a Handyman who is a good carpenter and pays attention to the leveling operation, using a laser level. Might run (VERY rough ballpark) on the order of $3-5/SF unless glued down or needing to take out the subflooring in under the walls too - here is a link to a recent similar question on replacing subflooring:

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy