Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/30/2016

Price changed on driveway job.

Had a company stop by my house and tell me "They were doing a job near there and had extra materials would I like the "mud pit" in my drive leveled and chip seal" He originally stated 400 later when he came back he said about 350 and I gave the go ahead. They used a cat to level my drive and then sprayed down the chip seal stuff then told me It would be 5400 I need to pay tomorrow. Signed nothing got nothing in writing I had believed it was just extra materials they were trying to keep from having to haul back. I do not know what to do.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here is a link to a similar but not so extreme a case -

Another case of nothing in writing, and lesson learned the hard way.

In your case, because of the $ involved, sounds like the classic "materials left over scam" - I would get all the info I could on his name, phone, vehicle license - and contact the police and file a criminal fraud complaint. A pro-active police department will arrange a time for an officer to be nearby watching for him to come get the check (after you call hims to come get the check) to arrest him - others may just take a complaint, or refer you to the fraud unit of the local district attorney's office. Or if he comes back tomorrow demanding payment call 911 and ask for an immediate police officer to catch a scammer - preferably calling them before he gets to the door so he does not know the police are on their way.

If you are elder, disabled, or otherwise afraid of retribution tougher situation but about all you can do to stop him from contacting you again or filing a lien on your property (though he would be pretty brash to do that) is file a criminal complaint against him.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy