Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/31/2018

Problems with contractor hired here on Angie’s list and can’t get him to call back.

Contractor was hired for home improvements and never finished the work or deliver all the goods. After several attempts to contact him with no response at a loss? Need help to remediate he money and goods.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If you are a Gold Angies List member (full price paid membership) you can call member services or do an online chat with them about the problem - and possibly use their vendor/member dispute resolution procedure too.

Otherwise, for incomplete/shoddy contractor performance your options are normally, from leasst aggressive to strongest:

1) sending a certified mail, return receipt, signature required letter to his business address stating how he is failing to perform per the contract or agreement, what remedy you want (performance or $ or both) and/or what work remains to be completed (make clear detailed list is subject to inspection of the work and preparation of a punchlist), and the timeframe in which you expect him to come through on your demand. If this is written by an attorney it will carry a lot more weight and make clear you are serious about pursuing this, or you can try that route yourself first to see if it shakes him out of his tree, then fall back on an attorney later if you choose.

2) next most aggressive method is, if he fails to respond or adequately rectify the situation, is to call his Bond - getting the bonding company to remedy the situation and complete the job with another contractor - or to pay for another contractor to finish the work within the original total contract price. Only really viable if there was a fixed, defined scope of work and preestablished contract and price (which might have some variables in it for optional items or 'allowances" for fixtures or such, but has to be such that a reasonable person could, in performing the contract or reading it determine the cost of the job components. Bonding company will usually try to duck out if there was not a defined scope of work and cost - though you still have a chance if trying to recoup overpayments for what was done.

3) third, is to sue - in small claims court for small amounts, or a formal civil suit for largear amounts (in which case you have to pay for your attorney, and rarely get that cost paid by the defendant even if you win hands down unless you can prove fraud or such).

4) One additional indirect way to put pressure on him, if his work is substandard, is to (if subject to building permit inspections and at an inspectable stage) see if the building inspector will inspect and give an unsatisfactory inspection report - puts a lot of weight to your argument about the contractor. Does not help if just late or incomplete but work quality was OK and inspected at each stage as required. Does not actually get the job done or $ back, but provides ammunition regarding work quality if that is an issue, or if he was not getting required inspections along the way.

5) You can also file a complaint with the state contractor licensing board (assuming he is licensed or is required to be in your state for the type of work being done) - does not directly help you, but puts pressure on him to resolve the complaint because otherwise they can suspend or pull his contractor license - a big blow to his company and operations. Or if he is operating without a required license, they can file charges against him with usually pretty substantial fine for operating without required license, and can normally get an injunction against him advertising or offering to do or doing contracting. In most states the contractor licensing board cannot help you with getting the job done or some money to pay for it - though a few states do have a consumer fund to help people caught in your situation.

6) If you think his behavior is criminal, not just shoddy or delayed or incompetent, you can also talk to the consumer fraud division at your local district attorney's office or police department about filing a criminal complaint, if you think his behavior rises to that level - especially if you think he defrauded you out of payments never intending to do the work. Or if he is holding money in excess of what he reasonably would be owed for the work completed and willnot refund it, their calling him might shake it loose even if there is not enough of a case for them to actually file fraud or consumer abuse charges against him.

7) Of course, after all is said and done, you can Write A Review on Angies List (button at right end of green banner bar above) to warn others about him - be honest in the review to minimize the chance of possible libel charges by him about the review.

Here is a link to another similar question with answer and link to another such - largely same as above because I answered therm too, but might be worth reading through them in case I snuck in a stray word of wisdom there which is not in the answer above.


Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy