Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/19/2018

Professional Review for a reteroactive CO in Brookhaven NY

Ready to sell home and found CO has not been updated since the initial construction. Need to get a CO in Brookhaven town Suffolk county NY

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


You would have to contact them about specific requirements, but generally a Certificate of Occupancy only is updated if there are changes in the use of the building (residential to multi-family or to commercial say), or if the exterior dimensions/footprint is changed or the height is increased by adding a story or such. Generally building new decks over a certain size or coming close to property lines or street limits also requires getting a new CO. So, if no significant structural or outline changes have occurred over the years, may not need anything. Can't speak to that town speficially, but generally a CO does not have an expiration date - survives indefinitely unless some safety/building/fire inspection mandates that it be updated - usually only on commercial buildings, and commonly as a result of changes in the fire protection code requiring retrofitting of alarms, sprinklers, emergency exits or fire escapes or such.

But generally, interior remodels, siding/roofing replacement, exterior landscape features like on-grade patios and such, while generally requiring a building permit unless just cosmetic/architectural remodel (flooring, painting, cabinets and such), does not require a new CO. In some areas adding or removing a bedroom does require one.

Check with the chief building inspectors office - both to see what is on file with respect to CO and past building permits, and whether there are changes requiring one or the other.

For retroactive permits/CO, especially in NY state (along with NJ, MA, CT, MI, IL, CA) I emphatically recommend getting a local architect on board who deals with remodels and retroactive permits, because while some town just double the fee for filing late, others really sock it to you and get very nasty about inspections and such - I have seen cases where substantial tearout of drywall/plaster was required to allow them to inspect plumbing/electrical/HVAC which had been done without a permit.

Your realtor may also have some words of wisdom on this issue - both getting a retroactive one, and whether he/she considers lack of n up to date one a hindrance to sale. In most areas they are not kept well up to date and are basically ignored by buyers, realtors, and title insurance companies - in a few they are a major issue.


Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy