Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/21/2011

Recently we have had a significant amount of water in our basement following a heavy rainstrom. Can you suggest a waterproofing Co in Utah

The water seems to have entered along the top of the foundation in 3 different places, one being through a vent into a crawl space. A second is under a sliding glass door where pavers abut against the foundation. The 3rd area is adjacent to a planting area.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


It does not sound like you need a waterproofing company. It sounds like you may need a landscape architect or civil engineer.

Water coming in through the vent and door, but only during heavy rain, indicates the ground does not absorb the water faster enough, so the water runs. In this case it runs into your house. A simple fix of raising the grade and sloping it away from the house may solve these two problems.

Yard drains are a second option, these hardly noticable drains are set in the ground and the ground reshaped (with pavers, mulch beds, sod, etc) so that the area slopes to the drain. So starting from your window, create a slope that goes out 4 or 5 feet (or more depending on your land contours) and have an inground drain that runs underground to air or an existing stormwater management system.

The same system for your door area; ensure the patio slopes away from the house by changing the paver elevations and letting them slope away from the house or to a drain that has an underground line to open air or stormwater management system.

The plantings may be trapping running water or redirecting them toward the house. It is also possible that the flower bed, mulch bed, etc is too high, allowing the water easy access over your basement wall. Moving the plants away, changing them for higher clearance plants or just pruning them to allow easier passage under may be options.

Work with a licensed professional; your areas of leaks will probably not require an expensive waterproofing system.

Good luck!


Answered 8 years ago by Kenny Johnson

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy