Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/23/2014

Regarding bathroom drywall repair due to water damage. Who would be best to help with repairs/determine the cause?

Bathroom wall right next to shower is damaged and may have mold. Unsure of the cause behind the wall damage but need help determining where the damage is coming from and help with the repairs. It might be due to the sealing of the shower/shower doors but I am not sure how to figure that out. Looking for suggestions on who would be best to help.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Not knowing where the water is coming from, hard to tell what type ofsupplier to use - tile andmaybe surround issues a Ceramic Tile contractor would solve (also leaks at connecting shower doors), Door seal leaks a glass or door contractor would normally handle though some plumbers do too, a leaking pipe in the wall a plumber.

However, since you drywall damage and possible wood rot behind that, and don't know what kind of contractors you REALLY need till it is torn into, I would say get a Remodeling - Bath and Kitchen contractor to do the investigtion, because he is equipped (with the use of subs) to handle any of the causes.

Your other alternative, which would be cheaper if you guess right but more expensive probably if you guess wrong, would be to guess the cause and contact the appropriate contractor type for that cause - but that does not take care of remedying any mold, or the wall repair.

Personally, if I had to choose a contractor type, I would assume it is probably a problem with the caulk around the shower door frame or a door not closing tightly because the frame is out of plumb, leaving a gap where water can get around the door. If that is the cause you would have wetness outside the doors on the wall and/or floor after showers. If choosing just one specialty contractor rather than a general contractor to look at it, I think I would go with a Ceramic Tile contractor to solve the problem, but then you would need at least a drywall contractor to replace the damaged drywall and a painter to repaint - so you can see why going with a general contractor specializing in baths is probably better from the get-go, because you definitely (unless the repair will be a DIY job) need different types of contractors to remedy the problem than you need to repair the damage.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy