Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/7/2017

Removing Mold my heat pump/air conditioner. I live in the Phoenix area

I was told that having a dog in the house could have contributed to this problem and that trying to remove the mold would be very expensive due to the fact that the motor etc., would need to be removed to get at all of the mold and even then it may return. I do not know it the mold has reached the duct work.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer


This is Robin in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated mold remediation providers, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call at (888) 944-5478. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services


Here are some prior responses to that sort of question FYI - generally, if you have high humidity in your house or furnace/air handler area, you can get mold. Also, A/C evaporator coils will mold up, especially if they get pretty dirty due to poor filtration, also if the A/C is short-cycling (running only a few minutes each cycle) which makes the condensor coil get wet but doesnot run the blower long enough to evaporate it off. Too cold a coil can also cause this (leaking or low on refrigerant or running at too high a pressure drop) so it ices up, then stays wet after the cycle is done and eventually turns to wetness that promotes mold growth. A coil drain tube/pan that is not draining properly can also quickly promote mold growth, so your HVAC tech should check for all these things.

The coil is usually the first thing to inspect for mold - can be cleaned in almost all cases, so a Heating and A/C contractor (A/C specialist for type of system you have) would be your normal first step. If you have severe mold in the ducts, or a lot of moldy dust buildup, then a duct cleaning job may also be recommended. In severe humidity areas (not your case) sometimes (like in parts of the deep south and east coast) chronic moisture in the ducts can lead to perennial mold issues which require ultraviolet disinfectant lighting at the coil areas (commonly front and back to treat both areas) to control them permanently.

In very dusty areas (hello, lower elevations of Arizona like yours) commonly you need a pre-filter to remove dust as it comes into the air handler area, then a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter refiltering that incoming air plus filtering all recirculated air in the system before it goes through the air handler - that removes the growth media and food for the mold.

In your case, since you have a heat pump, evidently he said the heat pump air handler (fan and coil and the box they are in) is crudded up and needs a thorough cleaning - which, with some models which are poorly designed and not planned for cleaning, does require removing the motor to clean it - or sometimes the motor is so clogged up it needs to be removed to clean it, which might be your case.

Since he blamed the dog on it (at leat partially), sounds like your filters are not in the correct place, you have return or makeup air bypassing the filters, or they are not very efficient - because dog hair is one of the easiest things to trap with a filter. Or perhaps you have not been instructed on how to check the filter and change it when needed - typically every year and least and commmonly every 3-6 months in houses with animals that shed a lot, so it plugged up and started pulling dirty air around the edges of the filter or through openings in the ductwork.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy