Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/17/2016

Repair floor mobil home north wales, PA 19454

I have soft spots in multiple rooms of a double wide Mobil home in north wales, pa 19454....I need a floor repairman.....

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Certainly a mobile home and RV service and repair company can do this, as can a Handyman in most cases. Some Flooring companies will also do it along with installing new flooring over the top.

There are two basic types of subflooring used in mobile/manufactured homes - base subfloor, and pieced subfloor. The first goes down on the frame over the entire frame, then the unit is built on top - so the subfloor goes under the walls continuously. The second type the walls and roof are built first, then the subfloor goes in pieced room by room, so it can come out the same way. The problem with the first type is if you cut along the edge of the wall to remove the bad subfloor, you then have no support under the cut edge - so you have to put in auxiliary framing underneath to hold up the flooring. Commonly steel studs are used for this. Existence of insulation under the floor can of course complicate this replacement and bracing, so the first type tends to cost a few $/SF more than the pieced flooring method of construction.

You also need to figure out WHY you have a lot of soft spots - presumably water issues. May be you have moisture issues under the trailer (full skirting without venting is common cause, resulting in soil moisture saturating the air under there and causing gradual rot). Or maybe you have leaking pipes - so it may take a change of scope after the tearout is underway. Because of that factor, I would go with a contractor who does not only flooring but also full subfloor replacement if needed, and can handle water issues and insulation and venting and such as well, in case those are needed. you do not want a lfooring contractor to tear the flooring up and then say - oops, it is wet down there - go get that fixed and I will be back after they are done to finish your flooring.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Chris in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy