Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/31/2013

Replace skylight in Herbon, indiana. do I look for a roofer or general construction person

Have a skylight that is leaking in the roof.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Have you explored sealing around existing skylite? Best solution I have found is a brushable sealant called Geocell. Available at big box stores (menards etc) Use warm and throw away brush after. If not repairable any handyman can do the job if is just a trade out. See Angie's for contractors. You must have a matching shingle to repair around the replacement skylite, & using a ice shield type underlayment is a must. Is golden oppurtunity to upgrade the energy leaking out thru the unit. I upgraded to a triple pane and with the addition of sun controll ie non fading of new skylite felt the Velox brand was the ticket.

Jim Casper Gutter & Gutter Cover Contractor

ps see my blogs for ideas on my products


Answered 7 years ago by jccasper


Considering that the last installation was not done properly (or is old and worn by time and weather?), you should look for a company that both installs skylights and has roofing experience -- and guarantees the installation against defects (the most egregiuos of which is LEAKING).

Answered 7 years ago by Oleron

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy