Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/29/2017

Replace warped exterior panels with Hardibacker

Flood irrigation has warped and rotted the exterior panels on my house. What options do I have for exterior replacement? The interior drywall is ok.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

After checking for wall rot and damaged insulation, you have tons of choices - google this search phrase for articles describing the diffearent options - types of siding. (Be sure to check on any homeowners or condo association restrictions, if applicable).

You can go with similar panels to what you ahve now (basically a repair rether than totally residing), or go to a different panel system like metal or concrete or wood board, grooved wood panel like T1-11, lap siding of concrete aluminum steel vinyl or wood, shingles or shakes, depending on area maybe stucco (if flooding issue has been solved), etc. Just please do not use EIFS (external insulation used as the finished surface).

And of course the appropriate insulation and water barrier/vapor barrier for your area.

But NOT hardibacker - that is for indoor use only, won't survive outside. Fiber cement exterior products like HardiBoard and HardiPlank, yes.

You say "flood irrigation" caused the problem - if you meant a flood irrigation system watering your garden or lawn, you should first correct the drainage so it is directed away from the house, and get the ground level lowered (and sloped away from the house) to give minimum 4 inch clearance from gorund to top of foundation or bottom of siding (whichever is lower, usually the siding) - more like 12-18 preferred in termite country if possible.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is James in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated service providers to assist you with this, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy