Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/20/2017

Retainer wall just beyond drivewayand adjacent to neighbor's downhill has collapsed with recent rain.Who to contact

Wooden Retainer wall holds up the fence of our neighbor only 5 feet away.Their fence could conceivably collapse as a result. What is the best way to start repair? Which type of contractor should I start with?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If only a few feet high, and since it is about 5 feet away from what it is supporting upslope, a good quality Landscaping company who does a lot of retaining block walls would be the normal vendor Search the List category for this.

If this is over about 3 feet normally you need a design from a civil engineer to get a building permit, and for the contractor to bid and build to. Angies List does not have a category for that - try Structural Engineer, and they will refer you to a Civil/Geotechnical engineer if their firm does not do that sort of design. Also, if the wall collapsed due to slope instability rather than because the posts were embedded too shallow or broke off due to being rotten, then you should get an engineer to assess the situation because you would need something more substantial than you already have, plus measures may have to be taken to stabilize the slope while the repair/new wall is being built so it does not come down on you during construction.

Before talking to someone about this, firm up in your mind if you want a single vertical retaining wall, or if the design supports it, if a surface revetment or terraces or gabions (rock-filled wire baskets) or even extending the slope out further (either with compacted structural fill or with large stone facing) at the bottom of the slope will work for you - might be a lot cheaper if this is a long wall, as each of those is a possible fix.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy