Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/17/2018

Roofer not full filling his contract. Insurance company wanted itemized statement of work.

Roofer got an adjuster to fight for more insurance money . Roofer never contacted insurance company.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


1) If his contract calls for him to provide a detailed estimate, to provide all necessary documentation required by the insurance company, or if you signed an agreement that he represents you with the insurance company, then generally speaking his problem to get them what they want.

2) If he got an adjuster to try to negotiate the insurance company up, then what the contract says about tht cost, WHO the adjuster is working for (him or you), whether he was put in control (under the contract) for negotiating with the insurance company, etc controls.

3) You say he never contacted insurance company - about what ? Unless you signed over the resposibility/authority to deal with the insurance company to him, dealing with them is your responsibility.

4) If this job was being done based on an estimate rather than on a firm bid price, just tell him you need an itemized statement to justify the cost and for the insurance company to issue the claim payment.

5) If this is a pre-job estimate you are talking about, and depending on how long this has been and on whether you already have a signed contract or not, send him a letter (return receipt, certified mail, signature required) either giving him X days (say 5 business days) to get the itemized statement to you to submit to the insurance company, or if he is past his performance date under the contract you could either do that or tell him he has failed to perform under the contract so consider him in default and demand your deposit back (if any).

6) If you have no contract and did not give him a go-ahead on the job or such, just notify him (letter per above) that because of his non-performance on getting the detailed statement for the insurance company as agreed to, you are going with another contractor.

Below are links to a couple of similar or related previous questions with answers on roofing insurance claims which might or might not help - otherwise, you can respond back by using the yellow Answer This Question button, right below your question - to provide a bit more detail about the contract relationship, and exactly what the holdup is - the adjustment appeal, insurance company paying, making the claim for payment to the insurance company, or whereever else you feel he is not fulfilling his contract.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy