Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/24/2015

Sagging flrs in 1918 home 2nd story. What expertise to search for? Need support beams but also design assistance

1918 home with basement, two stories plus attic. Previous home owner created an open floor plan on main floor and added one support beam, but it's not enough. Had a structural engineer come out to do a report, but was not overly helpful - only provided length of support beams necessary and length.

We are trying to determine what expertise we should be seeking out since there are elements of engineering, construction and design at play here. Not sure we can afford an architect to create renderings.

Any suggestions?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


IF the structural engineer did a letter report or design sketch showing the dimensions and length of the beams, and supporting members, that might be enough to get a building permnit and give to a General Contractor or Carpenter - Framing to install the supports.

Otherwise, since to get a building permit they are almost certain to require a plan for the repair from a Structural Engineer, go back to him for what is needed to get a permit and to show bidders/contractor what needs to be done. Should include the calculations and dimsnesions of needed beams and supporting members, fastener detailing, any foundation needed for it (like if intermediate posts), and any special notes on temporary support while the work is being done, if needed.

If you went to an Architect, which would be appropriate if looking at moving supporting walls around, he would still use a Structural Engineer for the actual design of the supporting structure, so if you do not need layout or architectural detailing or aesthetic design help, go with the structural enginer.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy