Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/5/2017

Second story roof drips into rain gutter on lower level and sounds like a tin roof at night. How do I stop noise?

Edge of second story roof drips directly into the rain gutter connected to lower section of roof and sounds like a tin roof drip at night? We have to wear ear plugs to sleep when it's raining. How do I soften the sound so it doesn't keep us up at night?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Chinese water torture huh ? No matter what you put down there, you will probably still hear the water hitting either it or pooled water, so the solution is at the upper roof edge. And certainly not economic to extend the upper roof or cut back on the lower one.

With the upper roof edge right over the lower level roof gutter, only economic solution I see is to put gutters and downspout on the upper roof level too - gutters will also go a long way to preventing water issues in your foundation/lowest level slab from water getting against/under the house, so better for the house in the long run (especially if you have a finished basement).

One other thing which will work but might look a bit ugly too sticking out - depending on how far the upper roof edge would have to be extended to get the dripping to fall clear of the lower roof gutter (though will still drip into the lower gutter at times if breeze is coming from that direction) would be, if only an inch or two bump-oput is needed, have a Roofer put a dripedge flashing under the edges of the shingles (should go under the water barrier too, but cannot always do that reasonably in retrofits) so it sticks out from the roof eave and deflects the water out further. Looks like this (typically) - last couple of photos in below -

In the DL type shown above, there are some (I know Lowes commonly carries them) where the top surface sticks out close to 2-3 inches from the front of the roof edge - you need the type where there is an actual "drip edge" at the front of the top surface to force the drips to fall free at that point, not wick around the front face and run down the face of the dripedge to the bottom edge before it falls off, so front or "leading" edge needs a downward kink and sharp edge to do that - which one shown for example does NOT have.

Simpler angle drip cap flashing can also work - this - comes in widths to about 6 inches and can be fabricated by an aluminum gutter company to about 8-12 inch widths (so might be able to stick out up to 6 inches or so)

Whatever is used, if in icing country, if it sticks out very far it has to be heavy gauge enough to bear the weight of icing, because the exposed metal can cause icicling and edge freezing in freezing weather when the roof is dripping water, so it has to be able to carry as much as a few inches thickness of ice load.

Typical questions about gutters and some ballpark cost info can be found in the Home > Gutters link in Browse Projects, at lower left, FYI.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Chris in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy