Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/7/2014

Shower is leaking out of spigot flap is broken how much to fix?

In other words I get as much or more water coming from my shower spigot below then out of the shower itself due to the flap that switches it over. I need a price on how much you think it will cost. My husband usually does all this but he has cancer and is just too sick to fix it.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


The part you're referring to is called a "diverter" or "diverter valve". It sounds like you have the kind that's built into the spout rather than another knob -- in addition to the hot/cold knob/knobs-- on the shower wall. You need a new spout. This doesn't require many tools, isn't expensive, and it can be bought at a hardware store or home center. If you need to have a plumber do it, it shouldn't cost much more than his/her minimum charge for the visit plus the cost of the spout. The retail price for a spout ranges from less than $20 to as much as you want to spend. They can _literally_ be gold plated . . .

If you want to fix it yourself, This Old House online has a step-by-step guide. There are also YouTube videos illustrating the process.

Answered 6 years ago by Guest_9953265

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy