Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/3/2015

Sill plate repair

I need to find a Washington DC vendor who can replace a section of water damaged sill plate in my 90 year old garage. I assume the garage needs to be jacked up, the old sill cut out, and the new one inserted. I can't figure out who does this kind of work, so any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Here are a series of similar prior questions with answers which should help you - not necessarily in order they originally came in -

Answered 3 years ago by LCD


Thanks, but I'm looking for a vendor, not a diy.

Answered 3 years ago by Guest_90423372


Sorry - I thought I had given vendor categories in those answers -

For a very small section (up to a few feet) a Carpenter - Framing could probably handle it fine. Beyond that, more from an experience with larger repairs standpoint than from a physical capability standpoint, I would go with a General Contractor or Foundation Repair contractor (your Search the List categories).

Usually, a temporary support beam and posts are put in under the overlying floor joists, shimmed to lift the load off the damaged sill plate section while it is replaced. Quite easy to do it the joists are perpendicular to the wall being worked on, a bit tougher and more invasive (have to fasten into the wall studs/top header) on an "end" wall where the joist is parallel to and on top of the wall being worked on.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy