Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/25/2017

Slow draining bathtub with a bath fitter surround and possible broken pipe- cost of repair?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If you have a leak, then assume leaking pipe - which generally means getting at it from the back if possible (like through a backing bedroom or hall or closet wall), though by removing the faucet handles and decorative escutcheons (cover rings around the faucets) you may be able to get a small flashlight or fiber optic scope in alongside the pipe to look for signs of leakage possibly coming from the water pipes.

You normally get at this sort of thing from behind for the water pipes in the wall, or from underneath (assuming there is a room below) for drain lines - commonly $150-250 for the repair, plus $150-300 more commonly for the ceiling or wall repair of the access hole(s) unless you are real lucky and he can come through a back wall of a closet or such and hit the leaking spot right on, in which case sometimes just a $15-30 plastic or metal pre-painted access hole cover plate can be used to cover the access hole.

Of course, depending on accessibility and how much tearing into things he has to do to find the source, can run a lot higher - sometimes into the $500-1000 range though not commonly that high unless the leak is in concrete-encased pipes.

And obviously, if you can't get at the leak from behind or underneath (a common problem where tubs/showers are back-to-back) sometimes more damage is done (like cutting through the bath fitter surround) or replacing all the water piping in one unit - cutting it all otu from below and then building a wood frame to mount the entire hot and cold water manifold on to insert up from below or down from the top, with the pipes presoldered and fastened to it, then just a few screws or lag bolts to mount that frame to the studs. I have even done a tilt-in wall panel - studs and all - to avoid cutting out high-end surround or tile.

Plumbing is obviously the Search the List category to find a well-rated and reviewed vendor for this.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy