Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/18/2017

So cal Edison- who pays, homeowner or Edison, to replace 10' of underground cabling between the Edison box and the

Meter in connection with a panel upgrade?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Depends on too many factors - you will have to talk to SCE. Generally, as I recall SCE's rules (and obviously they change frequently) the run from the transformer or connection box to the meter is call an Underground Line Extension - and while it is their property, you pay to have it replaced if due to an upgrade rather than a defect (which you or someone operating on your property did not cause). They use to provide the cable for free if you dug the ditch and provided necessary riser pipe to the meter panel - and upgraded meter panel if that is needed too. Meter itself at least used to belong to them - they dropped it into your intalled meter panel when your system was ready for power (for about $400 as I recall).

Of course, if doing a major upgrade in power capacity sometimes they will install it for free - figuring the extra power charges will pay for the installation cost.

I would talk to their Residential or Commercial Service Engineering Department (as applicable to your case), not sales, for the straight skinny on exactly what they will and will not provide. Also, they can tell you if you actually need an underground service drop upgrade - if going from fusebox to not more than about 100-125A service, or from around existing 100-150A breaker box to not more than about 200A panel, commonly the installed drop wire size is large enough for the upgrade, because they commonly install service drops that are about 1

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy