Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/3/2017

Tempeture pressure relief value extentision pipe how much cost

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Assuming you mean the vertical discharge pipe from the valve to just above the floor (should terminate not less than 1-1/2" above floor so outflow is not obstructed, and not more than 6" above floor so hot water has minimal chance of splashing over someone nearby or nearby electrical), to have a handyman or plumber come out and do it would be about $5-25 in parts (depending on whether extended to proper length or totally new) and from probably $50-100 labor by handyman or typically these days $100-175 by a plumber (minimum service call charge).

Or if the existing pipe is threaded into the valve (as is usual) and too short or damaged and you only need a straight piece, go to a plumber's shop (not a plumbing department of a store) and have them make one up (or add to your existing piece) with a threaded connection at the top if needed. This assumes it readily unscrews from the valve (if there is a threaded connection there now rather than soldered - most are threaded)) without undue force - do not wrench heavily on the valve because break that off at the tank fitting and you have a problem.

Another solution - if no drop pipe now or short - buy threaded adapter (if don't have one now) and pipe length you need at about $2/LF or so for the pipe and about $15-25 for the fitting, getting a sharkbite (push-on) fitting - either for the threaded connection or a slip-joint coupling, whichever is needed for your case. Avoids soldering, at a lot higher cost for the coupling.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy